Emond Harnden fosters a spirit of respect and collegiality between Partners, Associates, and staff, and we recognize that in order to provide the level of service our clients expect and deserve, lawyers and staff must be passionate about what they do. At Emond Harnden, our Legal Assistants are key players in client service delivery. Our Legal Assistants are responsible for providing administrative support to multiple lawyers. We are looking for legal assistants who are aligned with our entrepreneurial spirit, who care and see the value of their work, and who share our drive for delivering high caliber client service.
Reporting to the Senior Operation Manager, the Bilingual Legal Assistant (LA) will be responsible for providing administrative support to multiple lawyers in term of scheduling, drafting, corresponding and other general administrative tasks. The successful candidate will be a key player in client service delivery.
The main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Organize the flow of work through the lawyers’ office and initiate follow-up action in a timely manner to meet multiple deadlines.
- Maintain and monitor calendars, including but not limited to scheduling appointments, hearings, travel, and conferences, as directed.
- Manage the bring-forward systems on a daily basis to ensure important deadlines are met.
Drafting and Correspondence:
- Liaise between the lawyers, contacts, and clients.
- Prepare legal documents, including (but not limited to) affidavits, briefs, motions, subpoenas, appearance sheets, minutes of settlement, release agreements, etc.
- Review and proofread outgoing documents and correspondence, verifying text for accuracy and syntax.
- Maintain and update current client and arbitrator contact lists.
- Respond to routine correspondence by mail, fax, email and telephone calls.
- Perform conflict searches, create, and maintain files, and close files as instructed.
- Open new client files and matters.
- Arrange and prepare courier services and pickups.
- Mail sorting and scanning.
- Support case preparation by assembling materials required during hearings.
- Maintain electronic copies of all documentation in Emond Harnden’s database to supplement available precedents.
- Input and validate lawyers’ time dockets; coordinate lawyers’ monthly/yearly docket totals as requested.
- Track lawyers’ Law Society of Ontario (LSO) Continuing Professional Development hours, and input into the LSO portal.
- Prepare or make changes to lawyers’ conference and/or seminar presentations.
- Conduct legal research by using WestlawNext and LexisNexis.
- Prepare cheque requisitions and trust deposit instructions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field.
- 3-5 years of working experience in administration, preferably in a legal or professional services environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both official languages.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to produce a high volume of high-quality work under tight deadlines while managing competing priorities.
- Ability to provide an excellent customer service and ensuring professionalism.
- Proficiency in MS Office & Adobe Pro.
- Working knowledge of Acumin and Worldox would be an asset.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter using the form below.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
EH is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department at email@example.com