Located in the heart of Ottawa’s Glebe neighborhood, Emond Harnden is a progressive and exciting place to begin or enhance your career. As a boutique labour and employment law firm, we have been representing the interests of management in both official languages since 1987.
Emond Harnden fosters a spirit of respect and collegiality between Partners, Associates, and staff, and we recognize that in order to provide the level of service our clients expect and deserve, lawyers and staff must be passionate about what they do. We are seeking candidates who are aligned with our entrepreneurial spirit, who care and see the value of their work, and who share our drive for delivering high caliber client service.
Our Labour and Employment Associate Lawyers are responsible for providing legal advice and representation to our Firm’s clients along with engaging in various business development initiatives. We are looking for lawyers who are aligned with our entrepreneurial spirit and who share our drive for delivering high caliber client service.
Specifically, an Emond Harnden Associate will:
- Advise clients directly on a full range of workplace issues including, but not limited to employment standards, human rights, employment contracts, health and safety, workplace policies, HR strategies, education law and language rights;
- Represent employers in collective bargaining, mediations, arbitrations and civil litigation;
- Represent clients in court at both the trial and appellate levels;
- Draft legal memoranda, opinions, briefs, pleadings and other legal documents;
- Research and analyze documents and case law to ensure the accuracy of advice and procedure;
- Support the firm’s business development initiatives, identify opportunities to promote brand awareness, and build individual profile.
Education and experience requirements are:
- LL.B or J.D. with excellent academic credentials;
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in successful practice;
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Labour and Employment Law
- Civil Litigation
Knowledge and skills the successful candidate would possess:
- Bilingualism (written, spoken, comprehension) and the ability to practice in French is required;
- Understanding that the true practice of law has a large business development element;
- Willingness or desire to learn about the business of law and the workings of a legal practice;
- Self-confidence, motivation, and the ability to network and build a book of business;
- Self-starter and can work independently and with a group;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Driven, client-focused, and an independent professional who can act as an Ambassador on behalf of the Firm;
- Licensed to practice law in Quebec would be an asset;
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
EH is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.